1.02.2007

The year is shiny and new, and in honor of 2007, I have taken a resolution:

Or, more specifically, to eat more homemade dessert. I eat too much candy and soda pop, and am hoping to substitute smaller amounts of better-tasting homemade desserts. So, I'm on the lookout for good dessert recipes. And I don't mean frozen, bagged chocolate chip cookies or boxed cake mix and tub frosting. I'm thinking rich cakes, pies, sweetened breads, cobblers, and fruit salads.


From watching Monarch of the Glen (my favorite, Scottish television drama), I got an idea of a "sticky toffee pudding." Apparently its a big deal across the pond. I found a simple-sounding recipe at Epicurious, and I'm ready to make it. It requires 1 1/4 c. chopped dates, and to my displeasure, couldn't find it at the supermarket (although I could find at least ten kinds of more exotic dried fruits, which didn't make sense), so I'm planning on substituting 3/4 c. chopped golden raisins and 1/2 c. chopped prunes for the dates. I suspect this recipe is one to properly kick-off my new, sweeter year.