10.06.2006

Projects, crema, brrr.

So, I've been writing about alot, and I like to switch on-and-off between projects, and right now things are sort of stagnant. I finished the amigurumi cat, the crochet collar, and got a bunch done on the afghan. However, I've grown really sick of the afghan idea, and I'm trying to think of ways I can recycle either the granny squares, or the yarn they're made of. I'm thinking maybe a crocheted vest, like the one I found at lanebryant.com. I'm thinking I can make mine a little more texturized by doubling up two cotton yarns and using a J-hook: maybe I can whip one up this weekend. I like the scoop neck look of it (which I would keep), but I would like mine to be longer.

Can I just say how much I love media crema? I haven't been able to find it for months, and finally did last week. I bought two cans of it, took them home, poured them into a glass jar, and put them in the fridge. For those who are wondering what I'm talking about, media crema is basically a thin cream that, in the states, usually is purchased in cans, and stiffens when refrigerated. People claim it tastes like sour cream but it doesn't. It isn't tangy like sour cream- its super mellow. I put it in everything, from hot chocolate to soup to pasta dishes-it gives food a really rich flavor, and since it isn't particularly savory or sweet alone, it can be used in many many dishes/deserts. Media crema is widely associated with Mexican cooking, and while I'm sure it tastes pretty yum in Mexican dishes, I haven't tried it yet. I like to mix about a tablespoon with my Red Pepper Marinara (see recipe below) and some elbow macaroni, with a dash of salt when I don't have time to cook something for dinner. It is good. Really good.

Fall is here, and winter is beginning to show (already!), and I'm going to need a new hat this year. I made a cloche a week ago, but that doesn't cut it when the wind nips the ears to the point of numbness, so I'm eyeing some hooded scarves I've been seeing online lately. They're usually knitted, though, and I'm kind of in the swing of crocheting. I don't want a cowl, because I need to be able to take it off and put it back on several times daily, and each time the thing would mess with my hair. I'm having trouble finding a pattern for a crocheted hooded scarf, so I'm beginning to think I'll need to come up with my own pattern. I'll post a few pics of my amigurumi cat, the crocheted cloche, and one last little treat I've finished lately (to remain unknown until the official unveil!) soon.