4.06.2008

I like to cook on Sundays.


Butternut Squash with Polish Sausage and Onions Sauteed

Baby Greens with Tart Apples, Cherry Tomatoes, and Parmesan Cheese with a Walnut Oil Vinegarette
Grilled Toast with Cheddar Cheese


Butternut Squash with Polish Sausage, Sauteed with Onions
To make this, I took the casings off of a pound of Polish sausage, and sauteed it in canola oil (about 1 tsp), with one roughly chopped onion. I chopped the sausage into smaller, more manageable pieces while it was cooking, and when the sausage was done cooking, I pressed the mixture between paper towels to remove excess fat. In the meantime, I cut apart one butternut squash, and microwaved it until tender (about 15 minutes or so). I served the sausage in the butternut squash cavities.


Baby Greens Salad with Tart Apples, Parmesan Cheese, Cherry Tomatoes, and a Balsamic-Walnut Oil Vinegarette
I love this salad! The combination of cherry tomatoes, tart apples, and balsamic vinegar add a really balanced sweet-sour flavor, and the Parmesan cheese and walnut oil make it a savory salad. Simply wash some baby greens, and in a salad bowl, combine the greens with a handful of grated Parmesan cheese, a handful of cherry tomatoes (chopped), two cubed, tart apples (the variety is your choice), and toss with a drizzle of walnut oil and balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt, and a few shakes of pepper.

To make the grilled cheese toast, I simply placed two slices of crusty Italian bread in my George Foreman Grill, and when they became all crispy and hot, I sprinkled a few pinches of grated cheddar cheese on one piece, and sandwiched it.

The only drawback to making a meal like this is the compulsory wishing it were summer!

Comment

No comments: