7.15.2007

I saw a television ad for Hellmann's "real" mayonnaise a few days ago. It was an optimistic commercial, with people holding sandwiches, demanding "real" food. The point of the ad was that Hellmann's "real" mayonnaise was made from eggs, vinegar, oil, and nothing else. I thought "ahhh..." since I've been bothering to make my own for the past few years, and that theirs may be comparable and simpler to acquire. I saw it in the local supermarket, and, er, no, it wasn't so real after all. The usual culprit: preservatives. Now, they may be helpful, not harmful, preservatives, but it's a lie nonetheless; the stuff isn't simply oil, vinegar, and eggs as they claimed!

Not so real.

So, I'll continue to make my own mayonnaise, and I'll share my recipe with you. I got it from a past diet, and modified it. It's super easy to make, especially if you have an immersion blender on hand (if you don't, make plans to buy a cheap one, they're THAT handy).

Real, Real Mayo

Put 1/4 c room temperature canola oil, 1/2 t salt, 1 room temperature egg, a small pinch of cayenne pepper, 1 1/2 t mustard powder, and 1/2 t sugar or honey in a jar or blender. Food process or immersion blend the mixture. Then, with the blender still running, add 1/2 c room temperature canola oil gradually. Then, add 4 T plain, white vinegar to the mix, and blend. Turn the blender on again, and add 1/2 c room temperature canola oil gradually, and then blend the mixture until it is reasonably stiff, like mayonnaise. And that's mayonnaise!

I like to eat the mayo too, it doesn't creep me out, even with the raw egg in it! I like to use it on sandwiches (especially on a Mighty Mouse Sandwich), in salads (potato salad, crab salad, macaroni salad, tuna salad, egg salad), and even on baked chicken. Yes, if you spread some mayo on some tenderized chicken breasts before baking them, they'll stay nice and moist, even if you overcook them!

Lately, I've taken to sandwiches made with crusty bread, sweet pickles, onion, cheddar cheese, and mayonnaise, assembled and grilled on the George Foreman. Sounds strange, but isn't. No kidding. Really.

No comments: